On Friday, we posted a $450ish fare from Chicago to Moscow on United. It also has a similar fare to St. Petersburg. Availability for mileage earning fares are limited (mainly end of November – December). If you don’t care about miles, there is a lot more availability for a few dollars less.
The W fare for 1K and GS members is very reasonable at under $900. It also allows two stopovers in Europe (Munich, Zurich, Frankfurt, Geneva, Brussels or Vienna).
Sample Travel Date:
- November 30th – December 8th
- Valid for travel on the outbound from October 27th – December 14th. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: ORD
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: o:ua fra,muc
- Destination: LED
- Return Advanced Routing Code: muc,fra o:ua
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
(This is a Star Alliance K fare, we are showing a route that you can earn miles on. But there’s more availability if you don’t care about miles — on the Advanced Routing Code field, enter “ua+ /f bc=k” without the quotes on both the Outbound and Return Advanced Routing Code fields)
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- ORD -MUC (Munich) – LED (St. Petersburg) – MUC – ORD
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 11,270 miles or 3.9 cents per mile. The segments between Munich and St. Petersburg will be non-mileage earning, as such, you will earn 9,070 miles or 4.8 cents per mile
- March 1st, 2015: 1,462 miles or a difference of 7,608 miles.
How to Book:
- Book via Hipmunk link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- On the From field, enter ORD::O:UA MUC,FRA
- On the To field, enter LED::MUC,FRA O:UA
- It will link you to United.com to book.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – required prior to arrival. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Russian Ruble (RUB) – $1USD = 35.78 RUB
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Chicago Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Chicago Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.