If you are a frequent reader of our site, you know that we use Matrix by ITA Software to validate almost every deal we publish. We like Matrix by ITA Software for its flexibility, speed and, most importantly, the ability to view monthly fare availability. The trade-off for flexibility and speed is complexity compared to the likes of Kayak or Hipmunk.
- Login to Matrix by ITA Software and there you are presented with a simple interface to search for fares.
- We like to enable “Advance routing codes,” have “See calendar of lowest fares” selected, and on the length of stay field, we like to use a date range. We typically use “0-7” nights as it covers 95% of all published fares. Let’s search for a fare from New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) on American Airlines only.
- On the Advanced routing code field, we enter “aa+” to search only for American. Here are some sample airline codes:
- aa+ -> American
- dl+ -> Delta
- b6+ -> JetBlue
- ua+ -> United
- us+ -> US Airways
- vx+ -> Virgin America
- ba+ -> British Airways
- lh+ -> Lufthansa
- af+ -> Air France
- kl+ -> KLM
- cx+ -> Cathay Pacific
- The result is a nice view of which dates have the cheapest fare:
- We can easily see that there are only two Fridays with cheap tickets. This is much quicker than searching for flights individually on Kayak or anywhere else for that matter. Selecting a specific date gives you this:
Now that you know there’s availability with American on March 1st – 3rd for a nice weekend getaway, it is just a matter of plugging this information in the airline’s website or your favorite online travel agency to book.
This is a very simple how-to guide; if you want to learn how to use all the advanced features of Matrix by ITA Software, Travel Codex did an excellent series on it.
For more of the latest cheap Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Flight Deal page
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.