A good sale for nonstop service to London. London is probably one of the hardest cities to do deals to:
- Heavy business travel – so the need to discount to fill up seats is low
- High taxes – at least $160 (departure tax + UK passenger charge) makes it difficult to do deals. After taxes and fees, Delta and United is taking $360 of this.
We found availability from:
- Washington D.C. [IAD]
- New York [NYC]
- Chicago [ORD]
This doesn’t meet our 6 cents per mile criterion. Norwegian will have it in the mid $400s sometimes out of New York, factoring their fees for luggage and advanced seat assignment, you will pay about the same. From DC and Chicago, Icelandair will sometimes have this in the mid 500s but will require a connection.
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample from Washington D.C. on Delta
- November 21st – 27th
- Valid for travel on the outbound from mid September – early December. Must purchase at least 90 days in advance of departure. Delta availability from Chicago is up mid October.
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: IAD
- For availability from other cities, replace IAD with airport code listed above
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: dl
- For United availability, replace dl with ua on both the Outbound and Return Advanced Routing Code fields
- Destination: LHR
- Return Advanced Routing Code: dl
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “5-12” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Departing from: IAD
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Book” section below.
- Delta: V
- United: K
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- IAD – LHR (London) – IAD
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
- Miles Flown: 7,330 miles
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 7,330 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 1,800 miles
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Priceline link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you enter “Delta” or “United” on the Airline textbox under the Advanced Options section of the form.
- Priceline’s risk free 24 hour cancellation policy here.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: British Pound (GBP). $1USD = 0.69 GBP
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Chicago Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Chicago Flight Deals page
For more of the latest cheap Washington D.C. / Baltimore Flight Deals:
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The New York Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Priceline, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.