This is United and Star Alliance’s response to their partner, Turkish Airlines’ nonstop service between San Francisco and Istanbul. This is for Spring, 2015 travel.
United’s mileage program is going to change in 2015 and you will earn very little miles for this fare. Unless you need status miles, it might be worth it to pay extra and fly on Turkish Airlines’ nonstop flight.
Sample Travel Date:
- May 6th – 14th, 2015
- Valid for travel on the outbound from April 13th – June 15th, 2015. Availability is limited. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: fra
- Destination: IST
- Return Advanced Routing Code: yyz
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- SFO – FRA (Frankfurt) – IST (Istanbul) – YYZ (Toronto) – SFO. The segment between Frankurt and Istanbul will be operated by Lufthansa. Air Canada will operated the return flights. All of these will be on United flight numbers.
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 14,222 miles or 5.2 cents per mile. With this particular routing, you will earn 11,369 elite status miles or 5.9 cents per mile
- March 1st, 2015: 2,735 miles or a difference of 8,634 miles.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select United
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – required prior to arrival for $20. Must apply online at Republic of Turkey – Electronic Visa Online Application System. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Turkish Lira (TRY). $1USD = 2.09 TRY
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.