Update 8/23/2014 @ 5:00AM Eastern – Persistence pays off. See reader Jennifer’s positive outcome. https://www.theflightdeal.com/2014/08/14/malaysia-air-operated-by-cathay-pacific-549-san-francisco-hong-kong-roundtrip-including-all-taxes/#comment-148025
Update 8/20/2014 @ 11:45PM Eastern – if you flights or segments are being canceled and its not what you were ticketed, you can file a complaint with the DOT here: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm
Update 8/18/2014 @ 10:25AM Eastern – FARE GONE.
Update 8/18/2014 @ 3:40PM Eastern – re: whether Malaysia and Cathay Pacific codesharing these flights. Per Airlineroute.net, these are scheduled to begin on September 1st (thanks Will for the codesharing info). http://airlineroute.net/2014/08/18/cxmh-codeshare-sep14/. So take our advice — be patient. And as to whether or not you can trust Airlineroute.net’s info, we have found them to be very reliable.
Update 8/16/2014 @ 12:15AM Eastern – please do not call. If you want to confirm that your reservation is active, go to the www.flymas.mobi site (Malaysia Air’s mobile site — copy and paste it). You cannot get a seat assignment with Cathay unless you are an Oneworld elite until 48 hours before the flight- there’s no point in calling them.
Update 8/17/2014 @ 3:25AM Eastern – our advice with deals like these is to wait. Wait and see what happens before booking any thing that requires a pre-payment.
Now $548 nonstop service to Hong Kong – cheap! You will be flying with Cathay Pacific — just the flight number will be Malaysia Air.
Update 8/14/2014 @ 5:10PM Eastern – This ticket allows you to combine it from other departure cities. For example, if you start from San Diego, it’s $562 when you just plug in the dates on CheapTickets.
Here’s what we found on CheapTickets:
- San Diego [SAN] – $562
- Portland [PDX] – $616
- Seattle [SEA] – $572
- Sacramento [SMF] – $742
- Las Vegas [LAS] – $562
- Salt Lake City [SLC] – $707
Los Angeles can be had for under $700 — but with the amount of sales from LA to Hong Kong lately, we think you should just wait for a full mileage earning fare. If you start in the cities above, the domestic segments can be operated by American, US Airways or Alaska.
(For these cities, ITA is not going to show the price, since availability is wide open, just go to CheapTickets and plug in your dates from departure city from September – October. We did not explicitly specify any airline when doing these searches on CheapTickets).
CheapTickets has a risk free 24 hour cancellation policy. Buy, then plan. This isn’t going to last.
Update 8/14/2014 @ 6:00PM Eastern – these are codeshare flights. What this means is that Malaysia Air is selling you the ticket under their flight numbers. However, its partner Cathay Pacific will be flying you across the Pacific as Malaysia Air does not fly between the United States and Asia. Here’s wikipedia entry on codeshare if you like more info.
Update 8/15/2014 @ 2:40AM Eastern – Booking via Firefox or Chrome seems best. We had reports of issues with Safari — just as an FYI if you are running into issues.
Update 8/15/2014 @ 4:30PM Eastern – try http://www.flymas.mobi to view your reservation on the Malaysia Air site. That’s their mobile site — works on any desktop browser too. Copy and paste the URL.
Sample Travel Date:
- September 1st – 8th
- Valid for travel from September – October 25th. Must purchase — this isn’t going to last, so NOW!
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: mh
- Destination: HKG
- Return Advanced Routing Code: mh
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- SFO -HKG (Hong Kong) – SFO. These flights will be operated by Cathay Pacific with Malaysia Airlines flight numbers. If you are flying from other cities, the segments within the United States will be operated by American, US Airways or Alaska Air.
- One free and additional at $50 each
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- 13,830 miles or 4.0 cents per mile. Malaysia Airlines is a member of the Oneworld Alliance and American and US Airways partner. This fare will earn 50% mileage with both American and US Airways
How to Book:
- Support us by using our CheapTickets link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Hong Kong Dollar (HKD). $1USD = 7.8 HKD
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Seattle Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Seattle Flight Deals page
For more of the latest cheap Portland Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Portland Flight Deals page
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the CheapTickets, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.