Turkish Airlines is a member of Star Alliance (the world’s largest airline alliance) and partners with United. This is a great opportunity for those who want to go to Zanzibar which has some of the best beaches in Africa. Explore Stone Town and when you’re done with Zanzibar, go to Tanzania for a safari. At $852, it is an incredible price to go to Tanzania.
For those not staying in Dar Es Salaam and heading to Zanzibar, it’s only a 30 minute ferry from Dar Es Salaam. However, if you don’t want to leave the airport and just fly into Zanzibar, Precision Air Services offers frequent service for approximately $150.
- February 1st – 10th, 2012. Valid for travel from January 10th, 2012 to March 31th, 2012. Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com and flexible month search to see availability.
- ORD – IST (Istanbul) – DAR (Dar Es Salaam) – IST – ORD
- 17,668 miles or 4.8 cents per mile. This is booked in G coach fare class and will earn 100% with United MileagePlus program. Provide your United MileagePlus number at checkin to receive credit. 17,668 miles is more than enough for a 1/2 way domestic reward ticket.
- Use dates found at http://matrix.itasoftware.com and book on TurkishAirlines.com
- Visa Requirements: US Citizens can get a visa on arrival for $100. A multi-entry option is available for the same price. So get that. In addition, proof of yellow fever vaccination is required
- Currency: $1 USD = 1,632 Tanzanian Shillings
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Fee Foreign Transaction Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping