This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers.
A good sale to Rome
The $525 fare includes advance seat assignment, normal size carry-on and one checked bag.
Delta / Air France / KLM Royal Dutch also have a $405 fare, but it is a Basic Economy fare with restrictions. Delta / Air France / KLM Royal Dutch International Basic Economy fares:
- DO NOT allow for advance seat assignment
- DO NOT include checked bags – they are $60 each way for the 1st bag and $100 for the 2nd
- DO NOT allow for changes
- DO NOT allow for cancellations – so if you cancel after the 24 hour risk free period, the Basic Economy version will have no value for future travel
- Most online travel agencies are not displaying Air France / KLM Royal Dutch Basic Economy / Economy Light fares as such.
Getting around Italy on Trenitalia is super easy and relatively inexpensive. We are for example traveling between Rome and Florence on Trenitalia’s high speed train in the middle of the Summer with tickets purchased about 4 months ahead for about $60 roundtrip. All can be online and they will email you a PDF to print as the ticket.
Here are some practical travel tips to Rome, Italy.
Sample Travel Date:
- April 20th – 27th, 2020
- This is just ONE SAMPLE travel date, for more availability, please follow the “Fare Availability” and “How to Search for Availability” instructions below
- Valid for travel in April 2020 for Monday through Thursday departures and returns. A 7 day minimum stay is required. Availability is limited. Must purchase at least 28 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- This is just to search for availability. To buy your tickets, scroll down to “How to Buy” section of this post
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code:
- Textbox 1: DL DL
- Textbox 2: maxconnect 240
- This is instructing ITA to search for the Basic Economy fare. Use those dates on Priceline and you will be presented with an option to upgrade to a regular economy fare.
- Destination: FCO
- Return Advanced Routing Code:
- Textbox 1: DL DL
- Textbox 2: maxconnect 240
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “3-10” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- The ITA search page should be like below when all values are inputted
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Buy” section below.
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- SFO – DTW (Detroit) – FCO (Rome) – ATL (Atlanta) – SFO
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- Miles Flown: 13,841 miles or 3.8 cents per mile
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 13,841 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 2,000 miles
How to Buy:
- Support us by using our Priceline link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- Select the $405 fare in the search results and you will be presented with the option to upgrade to a regular fare for $120 more (or $525 total roundtrip). The regular fare with advance seat assignment and ONE checked bag included.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Euro (EUR). $1USD = 0.91 EUR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Priceline, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.