This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers.
A good sale to Milan
The $555 fare is the regular economy fare with advance seat assignment, normal size carry-on and ONE checked bag.
United and its partners Air Canada, Austrian, Lufthansa and Swiss Air also have a $465 fare, but that is a Basic Economy fare. There are slightly variations but the one common theme across all these airlines with European Basic Economy fares, you will pay $60 each way for ONE checked luggage, more for additional bags.
United’s version of Basic Economy for European travel includes:
- Advance seat assignment
- One normal size carry-on plus one personal item
In contrast, its partners like Air Canada, Austrian, Lufthansa, and Swiss:
- Charges for advance seat assignment
- One carry-on up to 18lbs
In general, it is better to take United’s version of the Basic Economy for European fare versus the partners. Remember, if the flight has an United flight number but operated by a partner like Air Canada or Lufthansa, the Basic Economy rules of that carrier applies. If you fly on all United planes, the United version is actually reasonable for most travelers even for those with just a carry-on because of the advance seat assignment and normal size carry-on
Sample Travel Date:
- March 13th – 20th, 2019
- This is just ONE SAMPLE travel date, for more availability, please follow the “Fare Availability” and “How to Search for Availability” instructions below
- Valid for travel from January 2019 – March 2019 for Sunday through Wednesday departures and Tuesday through Friday returns. A Sunday stay required. Availability is limited. Must purchase at least 28 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- This is just to search for availability. To buy your tickets, scroll down to “How to Buy” section of this post
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SEA
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code:
- Textbox 1: ua ewr ua
- Textbox 2: maxconnect 300
- This is instructing ITA to search for the Basic Economy fare, using those dates on Orbitz, you will be presented with an option to upgrade to a regular economy fare.
- Destination: MXP
- Return Advanced Routing Code:
- Textbox 1: ua ewr ua
- Textbox 2: maxconnect 300
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “3-10” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- The ITA search page should be like below when all values are inputted
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Buy” section below.
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- SEA – EWR (Newark) – MXP (Milan) – EWR – SEA
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- Miles Flown: 12,782 miles or 4.3 cents per mile
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 12,782 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 2,225 miles
How to Buy:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- Select the $465 fare in the search results, you’ll be presented with the option to upgrade to a regular fare for $90 more (or $555 total roundtrip). The regular fare with ONE checked bag included
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Euro (EUR). $1USD = 0.88 EUR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Seattle Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Seattle Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.