This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers.
A good sale to Amsterdam
American / British Airways / Finnair / Iberia also have a slightly cheaper but, but it is a Basic Economy / Economy Light fare. These Basic Economy / Economy Light fares DO NOT:
- Allow for advance seat assignment
- Include checked bags – they are $60 each way
- Allow for changes
- Allow for cancellations – so if you cancel after the 24 hour risk free period, the Basic Economy version will have no value for future purchase
- Most online travel agencies are not properly displaying these fares with American / British Airways / Finnair / Iberia as BASIC ECONOMY.
In contrast, this Virgin Atlantic fare includes checked luggage, advance seat assignment and regular carry-on
Sample Travel Date:
- November 3rd – 10th
- This is just ONE SAMPLE travel date, for more availability, please follow the “Fare Availability” and “How to Search for Availability” instructions below
- Valid for travel from November – early December. Availability is limited. A 7 day minimum stay is required. Must purchase at least 50 days in advance
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- This is just to search for availability. To buy your tickets, scroll down to “How to Buy” section of this post
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code:
- Textbox 1: vs lhr
- Textbox 2: maxconnect 240
- Destination: AMS
- Return Advanced Routing Code:
- Textbox 1: lhr vs
- Textbox 2: maxconnect 240
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “3-10” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- The ITA search page should be like below when all values are inputted
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Buy” section below.
- SFO – LHR (London – Heathrow) – AMS (Amsterdam)- LHR – SFO
- Segments between London and Amserdam will be operated by British Airways. You will checkin with British Airways on your return from Amsterdam.
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Virgin Atlantic is a Delta partner. Mileage earning with Delta is as follows:
- Miles Flown: 11,146 miles or 4.3 cents
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 10,724 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 2,681 miles
How to Buy:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Euro (EUR). $1USD = 0.86 EUR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.