A good sale to Lima. ITA will price this at $804, but if you click thru those dates, it should reprice to $440.
For those heading to hike the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu, you will also need to factor in the cost of a flight between Lima and Cuzco. The cheapest option would be 4,500 British Airways Avios per direction.
Peru is one of the countries with active cases of Zika virus transmission. Please read up on it at the Center for Disease Control if you are planning to go.
Here are some practical travel tips to Machu Picchu.
Sample Travel Date:
- September 20th – 26th
- Valid for travel until early December or January, 2017 – March, 2017. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: lax
- Destination: LIM
- Return Advanced Routing Code: bog dfw,mia
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “3-10” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Book” section below.
- United: G
- LATAM: O
- SFO – LAX (Los Angeles) – LIM (Lima) – BOG (Bogota) – DFW (Dallas) – SFO. Flights within the United States will be operated by American or United.
- One permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
LATAM is a member of the Oneworld Alliance and American partner. Mileage earning with American is as follows:
- Miles Flown: 9,575 miles or 4.9 cents per mile
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 3,886 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 1,943 miles
How to Book:
- Book on Google Flights with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Select Multi-City, and enter each segment along with the dates for individually as shown on ITA
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa Requirements: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Peruvian Nuveo Sol (PEN) $1USD = 3.39 PEN
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking. Thank you for your continuing support.