[FARE GONE] South African – Starting $390: Washington D.C. / New York – South Africa. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
Expedia’s New Zealand site is pricing South African Airway’ fares from DC and New York to South Africa below the norm.
Use ITA to search. Dates with the USD amount below should price to the respective New Zealand Dollar.
- DC – Johannesburg: $766 USD -> should price to $544 New Zealand Dollars or $390 USD
- DC – Cape Town: $799 USD -> $577 NZD or $413 USD
- NYC – Jo’burg: $902 USD -> $722 NZD or $517 USD
- NYC – Cape Town: $925 USD -> $755 NZD or $541 USD
This will work with other cities in South Africa. So if you need to go elsewhere, just plug in your destination to see.
Before making any prepaid arrangements – we highly recommend that you wait for the ticket confirmation. And then wait some more (like 1 or 2 weeks). Just in case.
Update 7/2/2016 @ 12:45PM Eastern – fare gone
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample from Washington D.C. – Johannesburg
- November 14th – 21st
- Valid for travel on the outbound from September – early December. Must purchase at least 14 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: IAD
- For New York availability, replace IAD with JFK
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: sa+
- Destination: JNB
- Return Advanced Routing Code: sa+
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “5-12” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Departing from: IAD
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Book” section below.
- IAD – ACC (Accra) – JNB (Johannesburg) – DKR (Dakar) – IAD
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
South African Airways is a member of the Star Alliance and United partner. Mileage earning with United is as follows:
- Miles Flown: 16,268 miles or 2.4 cents per mile
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 8,134 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 8,134 miles
How to Book:
- Book on www.Expedia.co.nz with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. These fares will pricing in New Zealand dollars which trading at $1NZD = $0.72 USD at the moment. So $544NZD is about $390 USD. Use a no foreign exchange fee credit card to purchase to save on the f/x fees.
- HotelsCombined - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Search all the hotel and online travel agencies with one search.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: South African Rand (ZAR). $1USD = 14.57 ZAR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The New York Flight Deals page
For more of the latest cheap Washington D.C. / Baltimore Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.