Hong Kong is becoming the cheapest destination from an airfare perspective in Asia. This is due to a few factors:
- There is a lot of excess capacity. American is launching another flight this Fall to Hong Kong. That’s another 300+ daily seats that needs to be fill
- Cathay adding a lot of capacity to Boston, Chicago, and New York in the last two years
- It takes time for the demand to meet the supply.
This is cheap – though requires long layover in Vancouver on a lot of dates. This is not a mistake fare. This is properly filed. Hong Kong as a destination does not have any fuel surcharges. Delta from a comparable stand point had Hong Kong for $445 from multiple United hubs end of March that last 2 days. This probably won’t last that long. The other point we wanted to make for those outside of New York who are contemplating this deal – Hong Kong deals show up with frequency and probably close to you. Factor in the cost of getting to New York to start this trip — and yes, you have to start the trip in New York. You cannot start in Vancouver, or Toronto or wherever the connection cities are.
Update 5/5/2016 @ 11:20PM Eastern – it is possible to make this a single connection and have Cathay Pacific operate the segment between New York and Vancouver. Search and booking instructions have been updated for that availability.
Thanks to Jerry for sending us this tip at 5PM Eastern. We have been flying all day and am catching up now.
Update 5/6/2016 @ 5:54PM Eastern – fare gone
Sample Travel Date:
- September 20th – 28th
- Valid for travel on the outbound from late August – early December for Monday through Thursday departures and returns. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure.
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: NYC
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: ac+ /f bc=K
- For a mix of Air Canada and Cathay Pacific flight: replace ac+ /f bc=k with “cx yvr ac” without the quotes on the Outbound Advanced Routing Code field
- Destination: HKG
- Return Advanced Routing Code: ac+ /f bc=K
- For a mix of Air Canada and Cathay Pacific flight: replace ac+ /f bc=k with “ac yvr cx” without the quotes on the Outbound Advanced Routing Code field
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “3-10” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Book” section below.
- Air Canada: K
- Cathay Pacific: M
- LGA – YYZ (Toronto) – YVR (Vancouver) – HKG (Hong Kong) – YVR – YYZ – KFA
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Air Canada is a member of the Star Alliance and United partner. Mileage earning with United is as follows:
- Miles Flown: 17,667 miles or 2.2 cents per mile
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 7,791 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 7,791 miles
How to Book:
- All Air Canada flights: Book on Air Canada with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- Mix of Air Canada / Cathay Pacific flights: Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Be mindful that Philippine Airlines is also an option with Orbitz, but you will WANT Cathay over Philippine Airlines
- HotelsCombined - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Search all the hotel and online travel agencies with one search.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Hong Kong Dollar (HKD). $1USD = 7.8 HKD
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The New York Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.