A nice fare that allows you to visit both London and Reykjavik. Icelandair has a $442 fare to London that allows for a free stopover in Iceland. You can go to London with or without the stopover.
Unlike other low cost carriers (Norwegian, WOW etc), Icelandair allows for 2 free checked bag. That is a large saving compared to Norwegian or WOW whose baggage fees are over $150 roundtrip.
Sample Travel Date:
- New York to London: April 12th, 2016
- London to Reykjavik: April 18th
- Reykjavik to New York: April 21st
- Valid for travel from March 25th, 2016 – May 17th, 2016. Must purchase at least 1 day in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: JFK
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: kef
- Destination: LGW
- Return Advanced Routing Code: kef /minconnect 1800
- The minconnect command is an easy way to search for stopovers. The 1800 after minconnect is telling ITA to search connections of at least 1,800 minutes or 30 hours. So just change that number to find the optimal number of minutes you want to stopover. We recommend the stopover at the tail end of the trip as the connection time will require you to overnight in Reykjavik regardless.
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “3-10” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Book” section below.
- JFK – KEF (Reykjavik) – LGW (London – Gatwick) – KEF – JFK
- Miles Flown: 7,574 miles or 5.8 cents per mile
How to Book:
- Book on Icelandair with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Select “Icelandair Stopover/Return from another city” and enter it as three segments and the respective dates for those segments:
- Segment 1: New York – London
- Segment 2: London – Reykjavik
- Segment 3: Reykjavik – New York
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: British Pound (GBP). $1USD = 0.67 GBP
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Icelandic Krona (ISK). $1USD = 130.18 ISK
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The New York Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.