A good sale to Mumbai. India recently introduced Visa on Arrival for US Citizens. So it is possible to go even last minute-ish. Of course, India’s Visa on Arrival isn’t true Visa on Arrival. You still have to apply in advance of your departure, but you do not need to visit the Indian Consulate. Instead you need to apply online and 4 days advance notice.
Sample Travel Date:
- October 21st – 28th
- Valid for travel on the outbound until end of October or late January, 2016 – February, 2016. Availability is extremely limited. Must purchase at least 7 days in advance of departure.
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: o:ua+ /f bc=K
- That’s the letter O and not number zero. Using this Advanced Routing Code forces ITA to search only United operated flights to ensure 100% elite qualifying miles. If you don’t care about that, just use ua+ /f bc=k on both the Outbound and Return Advanced Routing Code fields
- Destination: BOM
- Return Advanced Routing Code: o:ua+ /f bc=K
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Also un-select the allow change of airport. There are some itineraries with change of airport required in New York – not the easiest connection.
- Length of stay “5-12” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions in the “How to Book” section below.
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- SFO – EWR (Newark) – BOM (Mumbai) – EWR – SFO.
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
- Miles Flown: 20,698 miles or 3.4 cents per mile
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 20,698 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 2,955 miles
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Priceline link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “More Options” and enter “United” on the Airline textbox.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Required prior to arrival. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Indian Rupee (INR). $1USD = 64.78 INR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Priceline, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.