United is putting Rio and Sao Paulo on sale from a lot of cities that rarely see deals to South America
Update 5/21/2015 @ 2:26PM Eastern – American has matched this and set this for about $560. Available from all the same city pairs!! The American fare is broader. It is available from United hubs and American hubs but not Delta hubs.
Update 5/21/2015 @ 2:53PM Eastern – fare gone.
Update 5/21/2015 @ 3:03PM Eastern – looks like its still there. sorry about that.
We found availability from:
- Portland [PDX]
- Sacramento [SMF]
- Tuscon [TUS]
- New Orleans [MSY]
- San Antonio [SAT]
- Austin [AUS]
- Albuquerque [ABQ]
- Honolulu [HNL]
- Anchorage [ANC]
- Nashville [BNA]
- Omaha [OMA]
- Oklahoma City [OKC]
- Des Moines [DSM]
- Columbus [CMH]
- Indianapolis [IND]
- Milwaukee [MKE]
- El Paso [ELP]
- Fargo [FAR]
- Cedar Rapids [CID]
- Burlington [BTV]
- Boise [BOI]
- Birmingham [BHM]
- Wichita [ICT]
- Louisville [SDF]
Based on this list we believe that it is available from almost every city with United service except for United hubs [San Francisco, Houston, Denver, Chicago, Cleveland, Newark, and Washington D.C.,] and Delta hubs [Atlanta, Memphis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and Seattle]. So you should check your city if we didn’t list it. American hubs [Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia, and Charlotte] have had sub-$500 deals this month, so these are not that interesting.
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample to Sao Paulo from Portland with American
- June 8th – 15th
- Valid for travel until August 31st with a 5 day stay minimum. Blackout dates late June and July. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure.
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: PDX
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: ua+ /f bc=N
- Destination: GRU
- Return Advanced Routing Code: ua+ /f bc=N
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- (For availability from other departure cities, replace PDX with airport code listed above)
- (For Rio de Janeiro availability, replace GRU with GIG on the Advanced Routing Code fields)
- (For American availability, replace ua+ /f bc=N with aa+ /f bc=Q on the Advanced Routing Code fields)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “5-12” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- PDX – IAH (Houston) – GRU – ORD (Chicago) – PDX
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
- Miles Flown: 13,698 or 4.7 cents per mile
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 13,698 miles
- Base Redeemable Miles: 2,665 miles
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Priceline link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you enter “United” on the Airline textbox in the Advanced Flight Options section
- HotelsCombined - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Search all the hotel and online travel agencies with one search.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Required prior to arrival – $160 – $180. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Brazilian Real (BRL) $1USD = 3.01 BRL
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Portland Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Portland Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Priceline, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.