A good sale to Moscow for nonstop service. Most Winters, you can expect Russian destinations to go on sale. This year has been especially good — devaluing Ruble, fuel etc etc.
There is also an Aeroflot nonstop fare for the same travel period that is about $100 cheaper or $392 roundtrip. You probably wonder why we list it as Delta vs Aeroflot — just the miles. While we are all about the cheap fares, we like miles too.
- About 10K elite status miles with Delta vs 0 with Aeroflot
- At least 1,947 redeemable miles with Delta or 4,677 miles with Alaska.
If you don’t care about the miles, there’s also instructions below on how to search and buy the Aeroflot fare.
Update 1/20/2015 @ 8:55PM Eastern – Delta has essentially match the Aeroflot fare by lowering their fare to $389.
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample with Delta
- Old: February 5th – 12th
- New: February 12th – 19th
- Valid for travel until March 28th. Must purchase at least 10 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: JFK
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: dl
- Destination: SVO
- Return Advanced Routing Code: dl
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- (For Aeroflot availability, replace dl with su on the Advanced Routing Code field)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- Delta: V
- Aeroflot: R
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- Old: $389.40
- New: $289.40
- JFK – SVO (Moscow) – JFK
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Delta Mileage Earning:
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 9,344 miles or
5.2 cents per mile4.1 cents per mile
- Base Redeemable Miles: 1,947 miles
- New Base Redeemable Miles: 1,447 miles
Unless you a Delta frequent flyer, you would earn more redeemable miles crediting this to Alaska Airlines if you take a routing that is 100% operated by Delta with Delta flight numbers. You will earn 50% mileage or 4,672 miles when crediting to Alaska with this routing. Mileage accrual will vary depending on routing.
As far as we can tell, Aeroflot R class fares do not earn miles.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select Delta or Aeroflot
Delta – old
- HotelsCombined - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Search all the hotel and online travel agencies with one search.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – required prior to arrival. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Russian Ruble (RUB) – $1USD = 64.95 RUB
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The New York Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.