We don’t post too many deals that don’t leave from the US. But, we saw that Oj778 on FlyerTalk posted about fare for under $400 from Toronto to Rio de Janeiro; we thought it is worth the post.
For those with miles (this is why you collect miles — to be opportunistic and for cheap trips — if you want to travel more for less, collect miles):
- If you are in New York / Chicago / Philadelphia / Washington D.C. / Charlotte – you can position for 4,500 British Airways Avios each direction (or if you have American Express Membership Reward points, with the bonus transfer going to British Airways Avios on until January 31st, it’s even cheaper)
- Miami and Dallas is 10,000 British Avios each direction.
- If you are in other cities, it will cost 12,500 miles each direction (American, Delta, United, Alaska etc).
- Taxes will be about $60.
We don’t recommend you doing this if you don’t have miles to reposition. Tickets to Canada can be expensive. For example: even on sale, New York to Toronto usually hovers around $220. That’s $600 total for this and require time to position to Toronto. Wait for a sale from the US if you don’t have the miles to position to Canada.
(For those in Miami and New York — you are required to pick up you luggage after immigration and before customs. Not that we advocate such a thing, but you don’t necessarily need to fly the last segment. For those in Dallas, you can do that until February 22nd. After that, the Rio de Janeiro -> Dallas nonstop is going away).
Update 1/9/2015 10:35AM Eastern – fare gone.
Sample Travel Date:
- February 9th – 16th
- Valid for travel on the outbound until February 17th or February 24th – July 9th or August 11th – December for Monday through Thursday departures. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure. A minimum 3 day stay is required
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: YYZ
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: jfk,mia,dfw
- Destination: GIG
- Return Advanced Routing Code: jfk,mia,dfw
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- On the Currency field, enter “USD”
- Length of stay “3-10” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- YYZ – DFW (Dallas) – GIG (Rio de Janeiro) – DFW – YYZ
- One permitted for free in New York or Miami
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- 12,852 miles or 3.1 cents per mile
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Priceline link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you enter “American” on the Airline textbox in the Advanced Flight Options section
- HotelsCombined - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Search all the hotel and online travel agencies with one search.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Required prior to arrival – $160 – $180. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Brazilian Real (BRL) $1USD = 2.69 BRL
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Priceline, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.