A good sale to St. Petersburg. This is a Star Alliance K fare — so be mindful of the operating airline to ensure mileage credit. If you fly Lufthansa, Austrian or Swiss, those segments will be non-mileage earning. As always, we are showing a routing that maximize mileage earning. There are non-mileage earning routes that are about $40 cheaper.
The W fare is under $1,000 for 1K and GS members with GPU to burn.
Sample Travel Date:
- February 20th – 27th, 2015
- Valid for travel on the outbound from January 12th, 2015 – March 12th, 2015. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: ord o:ua muc,fra
- Destination: LED
- Return Advanced Routing Code: muc,fra o:ua ord
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- Between US and Russia: K
- Within the US: G
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- SFO – ORD (Chicago) -MUC (Munich) – LED (St. Petersburg) – MUC (Munich) – ORD – SFO. Segments between Germany and Russia will be non-mileage earning. Remember to select United operated flights (not just flight numbers, but United operated), to ensure maximum mileage accrual.
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 14,962 miles or 4.6 cents per mile. The segments between Germany and St. Petersburg will be non-mileage earning, as such, you will earn 12,762 miles or 5.4 cents per mile
- March 1st, 2015: 2,658 miles or a difference of 10,103 miles.
How to Book:
- Book via Hipmunk link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- On the From field, enter SFO::ORD O:UA MUC,FRA
- On the To field, enter LED::MUC,FRA O:UA ORD
- It will link you to United.com to book.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – required prior to arrival. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Russian Ruble (RUB) – $1USD = 44.83 RUB
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.