A good sale to Vienna. This is a Star Alliance K fare, so you have to be mindful of the operating airline in order to ensure mileage accrual. We are going to show a routing that is for maximum mileage accrual. If you don’t care about earning miles, you can fly the Austrian nonstop for about $50 less. However, you will be forfeiting about 12.6K miles or enough for a domestic one-way award ticket.
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample with United
- January 16th – 23rd, 2015
- Valid for travel on the outbound until December 11th or January 10th, 2015 – March 12th, 2015. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: ORD
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: iah muc
- Destination: VIE
- Return Advanced Routing Code: muc iah
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- (If you want to take the nonstop Austrian flight and not earn miles, replace the Advanced Routing Codes with OS on both the Outbound and Return Advanced Routing Code fields)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- ORD – IAH (Houston) – MUC (Munich) – VIE (Vienna) – MUC – IAH – ORD. Segments within Europe will be operated by Austrian, Lufthansa, Brussels, or Swiss. Segments within Europe for this
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 13,144 miles or 5.4 cents per mile. The segments within Europe with this particular routing is non-mileage earning, so you will earn 12,694 miles or 5.7 cents per mile
- March 1st, 2015: 2,630 miles or a difference of 10,064 miles.
How to Book:
- United Flights and earn miles: Book via Hipmunk link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- On the From field, enter ORD::IAH MUC
- On the To field, enter VIE::MUC IAH
- It will link you to United.com to book.
- Austrian Flights and DO NOT earn miles: Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select Austrian
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Euro (EUR). $1USD = 0.80 EUR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Chicago Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Chicago Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.