A good sale to Stockholm. Since we will get a few emails about Norwegian being cheaper — here’s the all in cost comparison:
- Checked luggage
- United – 1st bag free
- Norwegian – $42 per leg (so if you check your bags, that’s $84 for this trip)
- Carry-on luaggage
- United – 22″ roller + 1 personal item
- Norwegian – 10 kilos max (or ~22 pounds)
- Seat assignment
- United – most advanced seat assignments are free
- Norwegian – if you want advanced seat assignment it’s $17. So that’s $34 roundtrip.
- Onboard food + beverage
- United – water and soda, free
- Norwegian – you will pay for everything (don’t forget a blanket, because Norwegian…yeah, they don’t have any)
- Frequent flyer miles
- United – this trip is 8,000+ miles. That 60% needed for a domestic one-way ticket. We value that at least $80
- Norwegian – they have an award program — but you can’t use it for much.
- United: single aisle 757. United 757 across the Atlantic have on-demand inflight entertainment.
- Norwegian: Boeing 787. That’s when there isn’t an issue and not substituted with a plane from HiFly or EuroAtlantic (we feel for you if you get the EuroAtlantic plane)
Norwegian might be cheaper — but if you want to check a bag or want advanced seat assignment etc, United will probably be cheaper.
Sample Travel Date:
- February 4th – 9th, 2015
- Valid for travel on the outbound from January, 2015 – March 26th, 2015 for Monday, Wednesday and Friday departures. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure.
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: EWR
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: ua+
- Destination: ARN
- Return Advanced Routing Code: ua+
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- EWR – OSL (Oslo) – ARN (Stockholm) – AMS (Amsterdam) – EWR
- Two permitted at $100 each.
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 8,231 miles or 5.9 cents per mile.
- March 1st, 2015: 1,865 miles or a difference of 6,366 miles.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select United
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Swedish Krona (SEK). $1USD = 6.4 SEK
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The New York Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.