A good sale to Rio de Janeiro. This fare has been around on and off since early September. However, this time around, it is available for travel during the Carnival (for 2015, its between February 13th – 18th. We found flight availability between February 11th – 19th).
One caveat: We heard of long waits for getting a Brazilian visa. If you do book this, get the visa sooner than later (at least the last time we went of a Brazilian visa, it had be use 90 days after being issued — so do it 90 days in advance of departure if possible)
Sample Travel Date:
- January 13th – 20th, 2015
- Valid for travel from late October – early December or January, 2015 – September, 2015 for Monday through Thursday departures with a 7 day stay minimum. Must purchase at least 1 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: LAX
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: mia,jfk,dfw jj
- Destination: GIG
- Return Advanced Routing Code: jj mia,jfk,dfw
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “5-12” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- Between US and Brazil: Q
- Within the United States: N
- LAX – JFK (New York) – GIG (Rio de Janeiro) – JFK – LAX. For this particular itinerary, the segments within the United States can be operated by American, JetBlue or United. Make sure you select the domestic segments operated by American if you want 100% American mileages.
- One permitted for free and one at $100.
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- 14,554 miles or 5.2 cents per mile. TAM is a member of the Oneworld Alliance and American partner. This fare will earn 100% mileage with American as long as all segments are operated by TAM or American, or LAN under TAM flight numbers. If you select segments are operated by United or JetBlue, you will not earn American miles for those segments.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Expedia link to book.
Carnival (February 11th – 19th)
ITA will result these over $800. However, when you price it on Expedia, it will be under $740.
- HotelsCombined - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Search all the hotel and online travel agencies with one search.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Required prior to arrival – $160 – $180. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Brazilian Real (BRL) $1USD = 2.43 BRL
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Los Angeles Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Los Angeles Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Expedia, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.