United is pricing Ho Chi Minh City lower than normal from a lot of cities. Ho Chi Minh City from the East Coast and Central US is normally over $900 on a good sale, $1,000 on a normal sale. So this is a very good fare.
Here’s where we found availability from East Coast and Central US:
- Newark [EWR]
- New York [JFK or LGA]
- Washington D.C. [WAS]
- Boston [BOS]
- Philadelphia [PHL]
- Miami [MIA]
- Dallas [DFW]
- Chicago [ORD]
- Cleveland [CLE]
- Tampa [TPA]
- New Orleans [MSY]
- Houston [IAH]
- Charlotte [CLT]
- Atlanta [ATL]
- Detroit [DTW]
- Minneapolis [MSP]
- Buffalo [BUF]
- St. Louis [STL]
- Omaha [OMA]
- Oklahoma City [OKC]
- Pittsburgh [PIT]
- Hartford [BDL]
- Seattle [SEA]
- Portland [PDX]
- Phoenix [PHX]
- San Francisco [SFO]
- Los Angeles [LAX]
Base on these spot checks, its likely this is available pretty much from every city big or small from the United States. $800 from the West Coast is a normal sale — so it isn’t as exciting as from the East Coast or Central US.
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample from Newark
- November 3rd – 10th
- Valid for travel on the outbound until December 11th or January 12th, 2015 – April 30th for Monday through Thursday departures. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: EWR
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: ua+ /f bc=k
- Destination: SGN
- Return Advanced Routing Code: ua+ / bc=k
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- (For other cities, replace EWR with your departure city]
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- EWR – SFO (San Francisco) – HKG (Hong Kong) – SGN (Ho Chi Minh City) – HKG – EWR. Certain segments might be operated by All Nippon Airways / Air Japan under United flight numbers
- Two permitted at $100 each. None in Guam.
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 19,303 miles or 4.0 cents per mile.
- March 1st, 2015: 3,446 miles or a difference of 15,857 miles.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select United
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa Requirements: US Citizens – Visa required prior to arrival. Prices vary. However, you may have an agent arrange a visa for pick-up upon arrival at Ho Chi Minh City Airport for a $20-25 handling fee paid upfront + $45 for the visa itself (also payable upon arrival). The Flight Deal team has used VietnamStay.com in the past for this service. It is much better than sending away your passport. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database.
- Currency: Vietnamese Dong (VND). $1USD = 21,276 VND
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation or car rental affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.