Delta is attacking Star Alliance fares to South Africa. This will not last.
Also available from Denver.
One more thing – we got some feedback that wish the deal was to Cape Town. Flying from Jo’burg to Cape Town is cheap. Doing a random check, we see it as low as $160. The two low cost carriers (Mango and Kulula) are the cheapest — they are own by South African Airways and British Airway’s South African franchise Comair. Cape Town rarely has sales and when it does go on sale, it is still $300-$400 more than Jo’burg.
Update 7/29/2014 @ 9:15PM Eastern – incredible, price drop of another $50! It is now $767. Usually when this happens, it means it will be gone soon. The $767 price is mostly available during the month of November.
Update 7/30/2014 @ 12:45PM Eastern – another $50 price drop. Now its $717! Availability is best in November.
Update 7/30/2014 @ 6:15PM Eastern – fare gone
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample from San Francisco
- Old: November 4th – 11th
- New: November 5th – 12th
- $717 price: November 10th – 17th
- Old: Valid for travel on the outbound from September 13th – December 9th. Availability is best in November. Must purchase at least 14 days in advance of departure
- New: Valid for travel on the outbound from September 13th – December 9th for Monday through Wednesday departures. Availability is best in November. Must purchase at least 14 days in advance of departure
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: SFO
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: dl dl
- Destination: JNB
- Return Advanced Routing Code: dl dl
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- (For Chicago departures, replace SFO with ORD on the Departing from: field)
- (For Washington D.C. departures, replace SFO with WAS on the Departing from: field)
- (For Houston departures, replace SFO with IAH on the Departing from: field)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (the max date range is 7 days. So 0-7, 5-12, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- Old: $685
- New: $635
- $717 price: $585
- SFO – ATL (Atlanta) – JNB (Johannesburg) – ATL – SFO
- None permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Delta will be revenue based mileage earning starting January 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 13 for Diamond level members who purchase with a Delta co-branded American Express credit card. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all Delta fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of Delta flyers.
- 2014: 21,128 miles or 3.9 cents per mile
- 2015: 3,425 miles or a difference of 17,703 miles.
- 2014: 21,128 miles or 3.6 cents per mile
- 2015: 3,175 miles or a difference of 17,953 miles.
- 2014: 21,128 miles or 3.4 cents per mile
- 2015: 2,925 miles or a difference of 18,203 miles.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select Delta
For hotel bookings, we recommend that you only book using online travel agencies (Hotels.com or Hotwire.com) if it is a non-chain hotel. We don’t want you to miss out on earning rewards with chain hotels.
- Accor Hotels
- Sofitel, Pullman, M Gallery, Grand Mercure, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis
- Country Inns and Suites
- Design Hotels
- Hilton Hotels
- Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Home2
- Intercontinental Group
- Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites
- Marriott International
- Marriott, JW Marriott, Courtyard y Marriott, Renaissance, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Springhill Suites, Delta Hotels, Moxy, AC Hotels, TownePlace, Autograph Collection, Protea Hotels.
- Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- Preferred, Sterling, Summit
- Radisson Hotels
- Radisson Blu, Radisson, Park Plaza, Park Inn, Hotel Missioni
- Wyndham Hotels
- Wyndham, Tryp, Wingate, Hawthorn, Microtel, Dream, Planet Hollywood, Ramada, Night, Baymont, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn
- Avis – US and Canadian Rentals
- Fox Rent A Car
- Payless Car Rental
- Sixt Car Rental – Good Agency for Rentals in Europe
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: South African Rand (ZAR). $1USD = 10.73 South African Rand (ZAR)
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
For more of the latest cheap Washington D.C. / Baltimore Flight Deals:
For more of the latest cheap Chicago Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Chicago Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation or car rental affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.