LAN, the largest airline group in South America is running a special from Mexico City to Iguazu Falls, Brazil. It is reasonably priced for most of us to position to Mexico City (e.g., Chicago and Dallas for around $230 nonstop to Mexico City).
Positioning flights with Air France points for Aeromexico and Delta cities (New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, San Antonio, or San Francisco) or British Airways for American and Alaska cities (Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami and Seattle) with nonstop service would be good value. Starting April 1st, 2013, you can also use British Airways points for US Airways flights from Phoenix and Charlotte to position.
Sample Travel Date:
- April 23rd – 30th, 2014
- Valid for travel from February, 2014 – November, 2014 for Monday through Thursday departures with blackout dates from late May – early July. Must purchase by December 27th
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability — enable advanced routing codes and enter “la+” on the outbound and return advanced routing code fields to search for this fare. Make sure you set the currency to “USD” to display results in US Dollars, otherwise, it will be in Mexican Pesos or 6,015 MXN
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Partner Fare Class:
- S – between Mexico and Peru
- L – between Peru and Brazil. It is also possible to have segments in S, which would only earn 25% mileage with American.
- Y – Intra-Brazil
- MEX – LIM (Lima) – GRU (Sao Paulo) – IGU (Iguazu Falls) – GRU – LIM – MEX. If you want full American Airlines’ miles, ensure no segments are operated by Aeromexico under LAN codeshare.
- One permitted at $75
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- 10,604 miles or 4.4 cents per mile — the above itinerary is in S, L and Y. However, it also can be in S, S and Y, which would earn less miles. LAN is a member of the Oneworld alliance and American Airlines partner. As long as all segments are operated by either LAN or TAM, you will receive 100% mileage with American. TAM operated flights under LAN codeshare will not earn miles with American before April 1st, 2014.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select LAN
For hotel bookings, we recommend that you only book using online travel agencies (Hotels.com or Hotwire.com) if it is a non-chain hotel. We don’t want you to miss out on earning rewards with chain hotels.
- Accor Hotels
- Sofitel, Pullman, M Gallery, Grand Mercure, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis
- Country Inns and Suites
- Design Hotels
- Hilton Hotels
- Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Home2
- Intercontinental Group
- Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites
- Marriott International
- Marriott, JW Marriott, Courtyard y Marriott, Renaissance, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Springhill Suites, Delta Hotels, Moxy, AC Hotels, TownePlace, Autograph Collection, Protea Hotels.
- Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- Preferred, Sterling, Summit
- Radisson Hotels
- Radisson Blu, Radisson, Park Plaza, Park Inn, Hotel Missioni
- Wyndham Hotels
- Wyndham, Tryp, Wingate, Hawthorn, Microtel, Dream, Planet Hollywood, Ramada, Night, Baymont, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn
- Avis – US and Canadian Rentals
- Fox Rent A Car
- Payless Car Rental
- Sixt Car Rental – Good Agency for Rentals in Europe
- Visa: US Citizens – Required prior to arrival – $160 – $180. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Brazilian Real (BRL) $1USD = 2.36 BRL
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a small commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation or car rental affiliate links to make a booking. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.