Air France and KLM has put Johannesburg on sale for about $800. Star Alliance carriers (United, Lufhansa, Brussels Airlines, Air Canada and Swiss Air) also have a similar fare. But those fares do not earn any miles. Instead, we recommend that you spend slightly more money to buy the $900 fare with Air France/KLM that does earn 100% mileage with Delta. The distance between Washington D.C. and Johannesburg via Air France / KLM is over 18,000 miles. At a super conservative valuation of a penny a mile, that’s worth $180. In essence, by spending about a hundred dollars more, you will at minimum earn a profit of about $80.
Sample Travel Date:
- November 4th – 11th
- Valid for travel from November 1st – 30th or January 10th, 2014 – March 10th, 2014. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability — enable advanced routing codes and enter “/ f .. RLPR5US” on the outbound field and “/ f .. RLPR5US” on the return field to search only this fare. This code will search for the $900 mileage earning fare. Must purchase by March 31st, 2014 (THIS WILL NOT LAST until then)
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Partner Fare Class:
- IAD – AMS (Amsterdam) – JNB (Johannesburg) – CDG – IAD. For AvGeeks, the segments between Jo’Burg – Paris – Washington D.C. are on the Airbus A380. Parts of the itinerary are operated by KLM. You can book the entire trip on AirFrance.US
- 18,730 miles or 4.8 cents per mile. Air France partners with Delta. This $900 fare in R class will earn 100% mileage with Delta SkyMiles. Remember to provide your SkyMiles number at check-in to receive your miles. DO NOT CREDIT THIS TO Air France/KLM’s program, as it will only earn 25%. Credit to Delta!
How to Book:
- Use dates found on ITA Software Matrix Search and book on AirFrance.US
- Receive 2% back with TopCashBack.com(*), use TopCashBack.com‘s AirFrance.US link book to receive the 2% saving
- Chose the fare that add up to $900. At the confirmation screen, make sure it says Class R. If it is V, it will not earn any miles!
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Rand – $1USD = 9.9 South African Rand (ZAR)
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Washington D.C. / Baltimore Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a cash bonus if you use the TopCashBack affiliate link above to create a TopCashBack account and make a subsequent booking.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.