A few days ago, we published a fantastic offer from Alitalia Japan where it was giving a 25,000 Yen discount on ticket purchases. Due to Alitalia’s faulty controls over the intended use of the coupon, flyers not originating from Japan were able to use the coupon to purchase some great fares like New York – Madrid for $284. Once Alitalia realized that a lot of purchases were ZERO cost due to the low prices of intra-European tickets, Alitalia canceled all tickets purchased with the coupon.

After consideration, some bad PR, potential pressure from regulators on both side of the pond, Alitalia has announced that they will be honoring anyone who purchased a ticket using the 25,000 Yen coupon if the final ticket price is at least 1 Euro cent (Link is to Alitalia’s Facebook announcement).

This is great news. Lessons learn from this mistake fare for next time:

• Don’t over think; buy!
  • If it doesn’t work out, there is a high probability regulators or social media pressure will force the airline to honor it
  • And if that still doesn’t work, remember it was a mistake to begin with. Move on to the next deal.

For more of the latest Flight Deals:

=====

To make sure you receive our latest deals, LIKE our  The Flight Deal Facebook Page, follow us on Twitter @TheFlightDeal, or subscribe to The Flight Deal RSS Feed or Subscribe via Email (Once a Day)

The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.

written by

The author didn‘t add any Information to his profile yet.

8 Responses to "Quick update on the Alitalia Japan 25,000 Yen Coupon – Tickets to be honored except for ZERO cost ones."

1. Jill says:

Awesome news.
    Does anyone know if tickets will be honored even if the credit card wasn’t charged? I bought a ticket for about $200 after the discount, got a confirmation email with a ticket number, then got a cancellation email within 24 hours and saw no charges on my credit card. Will they issue someone like me a ticket? Their message was unclear.

Thanks!

• TFD says:

@Jill, our advice is just to wait. Alitalia said if your itinerary is more than 1 Euro cent, they’ll honor it. It will take them some time for them to reinstate the itineraries.

2. JD says:

I got a charge on my card, it was listed as “pending” for a few days, then it disappeared, now I see this… Anyone get a confirmation yet that their flights are on? Mine was two flights for $284 each roundtrip from JFK to MAD via Rome.

• TFD says:

@JD, just wait. It will take some time for Alitalia to reinstate everything.

• JD says:

I got an email from Alitalia two days ago saying they indeed will reinstate the fare as stipulated in this post and I checked the site today to see that my reservation shows up (but it says tickets are not booked yet), still no confirmation email to certify that I will indeed have tickets… Anyone else?

• Cassie says:

I was wondering the same thing. I got their email when everyone else did about reissuing our tickets, but haven’t gotten the ticket confirmation one. I know they have a lot of people to go through, but I was just wondering if those messages had started coming in for anyone?

3. Cassie says:

This is amazing! I woke up to that email from them and it was the best way to start my day. Wh00t for a successful #honoryourpromo campaign!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!
© Copyright - The Flight Deal

ADVERTISER DISCLOSURE: The offers that appear are from companies from which The Flight Deal receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site, including, for example, the order in which they may appear within listing categories. Other factors, such as our own proprietary website rules and the likelihood of applicants' credit approval also impact how and where products appear on this site. The Flight Deal does not include the entire universe of available financial or credit offers

EDITORIAL DISCLOSURE: The editorial content on this site is not provided by the companies whose products are featured. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or evaluations provided here are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Advertiser.