We normally don’t cover deals from cities outside of the United States, however, Mexico City is an easy positioning city relatively speaking. If you have miles and points, visiting Brazil for about $300 is a fantastic deal.
Here are some cheap positioning possibilities via British Airways Avios:
- Los Angeles – 10,000 Avios each way
- Dallas – 7,500 Avios each way
- Chicago – 10,000 Avios each way
- Miami – 10,000 Avios each way
- Charlotte – 10,000 Avios each way
- Phoenix – 10,000 Avios each way
And with the 40% bonus transfer from American Express to British Airways going on now, even cheaper. If you don’t have Avios, using American, Delta or United miles, it is only 17,500 miles each way.
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample to Rio de Janeiro
- January 20th – 27th, 2015
- Valid for travel from January, 2015 – February 8th, 2015 with a 3 day stay minimum. Availability is limited. Must purchase by December 21st (TODAY)
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Not searchable on ITA. Use CheapOair
Here’s some dates we found:
- Departing Mexico City to Sao Paulo
- January 9th, 14th, 15th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 28th
- Departing from Sao Paulo to Mexico City
- January 20th, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 31st
- February 4th
- Departing Mexico City to Rio de Janeiro
- January 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st,
- Departing from Rio de Janeiro to Mexico City
- January 27th, 28th
There could be others. But these are the initial set we found.
- MEX – GRU (Sao Paulo) // CGH (São Paulo–Congonhas) – SDU (Rio de Janeiro – Santos Dumont) CGH // – GRU – MEX.
- Not permitted.
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- 9,680 miles or 3.2 cents per mile. TAM is a member of the Oneworld Alliance and American partner. This fare will earn 100% mileage between Mexico and Brazil and 50% mileage within Brazil when crediting to American. As such, you will earn 9,453 miles or 3.2 cents per mile.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our CheapOair link to book. Make sure you click on More Options and on “Preferred Airline”, enter TAM Airlines.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Required prior to arrival – $160 – $180. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Brazilian Real (BRL) $1USD = 2.66 BRL
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the CheapOair, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.