Last week we had a deal from New York to Montevideo on TACA. That deal was gone fairly quickly. Copa Airlines, a Star Alliance member as well as United and US Airways partner, is putting the route on sale. If you want to go, take advantage now. Montevideo is not normally this inexpensive. Montevideo is a good base to visit the beaches of Punte del Estes and also provides easy access to Buenos Aires via the ferry. Going to Buenos Aires from Montevideo via the ferry will save you the $140 reciprocity fee that Argentina charges Americans on arrival at the two Buenos Aires airports.
- November 6th – 14th. Valid for travel until August, 2013. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability — enable advance routing codes and enter “cm+” on both the outbound and return advance routing code fields to see only COPA Airlines availability. Must purchase at least 7 days in advance of departure.
- JFK – PTY (Panama City) – MVD (Montevideo) – PTY – JFK; includes an overnight layover on the outbound in Panama City.
- 11,202 miles or 5.4 cents per mile. COPA Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance and is partners with United and US Airways. This fare will earn 100% mileage credit with United. Provide the check-in staff with your MileagePlus number to receive credit.
- Use dates found at ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and book on Cheaptickets.com. Make sure on “Additional search options,” you select “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and COPA Airlines is selected. Cheaptickets.com was the only one we tested out of CopaAir.com, Expedia and Orbitz.com that would price it.
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Uruguyan Peso (UYU) $1USD = 21.25 UYU
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
For more New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Flight Deal New York page
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.