The Shorthaul – American: Chicago – Fort Lauderdale (and vice versa) $194. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
Spirit Airlines has this for $128. However, with the “optional” fees that Spirit charges, it comes out to be about the same. For example, Spirit Airlines charges a $10 booking fee per passenger. That makes it $138. If you have carry-on luggage, that’s another $30 (you can’t avoid luggage fees with Spirit), making it $168. If you want an advanced seat assignment, it is another $1 – $50. When you add it all up, you get worse protection during irregular operations and an even more cramped seat. It equals flying a regular carrier from a cost perspective. With a regular carrier, at least you can use your miles for a reward trip in the future. That’s why we have never published a Spirit Airlines fare even though they do have some cheap fares.
What is The Shorthaul? Read here.
- September 8th – 12th. Valid for travel from September 5th – February 13th, 2013 for Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday departures. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability. Must purchase at least 7 days in advance of departure
- ORD – FLL (Fort Lauderdale) – ORD
- 2,366 miles
We used a promotion code to save 5%. Below are some codes for selected travel dates.
Promotion Codes for booking on AA.com:
- To Fort Lauderdale
- September 7th – 24th: Code – 2192BF – 5% Off
- September 28th – October 29th: Code – 23H2BK – 5% Off
- To Chicago
- September 7th – October 8th: Code – 6292BF – 5% Off
- September 12th – 23rd: Code – 6392BI – 7% Off
- September 30th – November 20th: Code – 85H2AZ – 5% Off
- Use dates found at ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and book on AA.com
- Receive $1 back for using Ebates.com or Mr. Rebates prior to booking on AA.com
- AA’s risk free cancellation policy here