On Friday, 1st of June, British Airways published a very good fare to Hong Kong from anywhere in Spain for travel from August 16th – May 31st, 2013.
We checked the fare and noticed that it was available during the Christmas and New Years holiday (we had been planning to go to Asia during that time). The challenge we had was the fares are over $1,500 from the East Coast and using miles, the availability was bad for the team (we needed 6 award seats).
So this how we did it:
- We checked for award inventory from New York to Madrid and Barcelona on American, Delta and United. We found that coach and business seats were available for 40K, 60K, 80K or 100K miles for our travel dates. American miles was the cheapest option at 40K. We put the fares on hold. Taxes and fees came out to be about $80
- Then we went to our favorite fare search tool – ITA Software Matrix and found seats to Hong Kong from Spain that worked well.
- Then we went to British Airways and booked Spain to Hong Kong.
We saved about $900 per person and saved about 40K – 80K miles which we can use for another trip! We also get to visit one of our favorite eating destinations in the world in Spain! The moral of the story: we could not have taken advantage of the deal without miles. That is why we always include the mileage count that you will earn for each deal we publish. Collecting them is easy and free! Always collect them so that you can be in the position to take advantage of unexpected deals such as this.
Details for the Spain to Hong Kong deal on British Airways in case you were interested in replicating our trip:
- Must purchase by June 5th
- Travel between August 16th – May 31st, 2013
- Max Stay: 12 Months
- Stopover in London/United Kingdom for 75 Euros. We don’t advise this as you will be hit with additional taxes of about $250.
- Travel between London and Hong Kong must be on British Airways or Qantas. We recommend British Airways due to the fact that all BA fares earn 100% mileage with American while Qantas does not.
- On ITA Software Matrix, enable advance routing codes and input “ba+” on both outbound and inbound routing codes field to see only British Airways availability.
Mileage for this fare:
- 13,500+ Miles with American Airlines
- 4.0 – 4.2 cents per mile!