Uruguay is an under-rated tourist country — steak there is as good as Argentina (we already hear the uproar from our Argentinean friends for saying that), beautiful beaches in Punte del Estes and the Pampas just like it, but unlike Argentina, it does not charge you $130 entry fee. If you want to visit Buenos Aires, this is also a great fare. By going to Montevideo first and then taking the ferry (about 3 hour ride) to Buenos Aires, you save on the $130 Argentinean entry fee.
TACA is the umbrella airline company for many of the countries in Central America and will be part of the Star Alliance in April, 2012.
- May 23rd- 29th. Valid for travel from April 10th – June 15th. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability. Must purchase by March 16th.
- JFK – SAL (El Salvador) – LIM (Lima, Peru) – MVD (Montevideo) – LIM – SAL – JFK
- 12,176 miles or 3.9 cents per mile. TACA is partners with United MileagePlus program and you should receive 100% mileage credit for this — though with the recent merger between United and Continental frequent flyer programs, the mileage award chart is currently blank, so we cannot be certain it is 100%. But at this price, this is a fantastic deal, mileage earning might be secondary if you are willing to do the double connection.
- Visa: US Citizens – not required
- Currency: Uruguyan Peso (UYU) $1USD = 19.4 UYU
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping