Go on a safari. This is inexpensive to fly from the West Coast to Nairobi. From Nairobi, you can either go to some of the game reserves nearby, so catch a flight to Kilimanjaro and do the Serengeti.
[Update – There is a current State Department travel advisory out for Kenya (while on the topic of travel advisories, Mexico also has one). With all travel, take common precautions and stay away from the real trouble areas — in this case, the border with Somalia.]
- November 8th – 19th. Valid for travel until March 31st, 2012. http://matrix.itasoftware.com and flexible month search to find exact availability.
- LAX – IST (Istanbul, Turkey) – NBO (Nairobi) – IST – LAX
- 19,636 miles or 5.2 cents per mile. Turkish Airlines is part of the Star Alliance and are partners with United and US Airways — however, only United credits 100% mileage. So give them your United account number. 19K miles is almost enough for a free domestic award ticket! Always collect miles for every trip you take!
- Use dates found at http://matrix.itasoftware.com and book on Orbitz.com
- Visa: US Citizens – Visa on Arrival for $25
- Currency: Kenyan Shilling – $1USD = 101 KES
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Fee Foreign Transaction Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping