We really like Ho Chi Minh City (also known as Saigon) for the food, so many choices from the banh mi to pho. What to eat, what to eat? Go try it all! This is a very good sale! Use this as a springboard to trek the rest of the country — last December, we went from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang, Hoi An, Hanoi and then Halong Bay. JetStar Vietnam is a cheap way to get around.
[update 1 @ 12am 10/1/2011 – fare gone]
- October 14th – 21st. Valid for travel until early December, 2011. Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com and flexible month search to find availability. Best to book via Orbitz.com.
- SFO – HKG (Hong Kong) – SGN (Ho Chi Minh City) – NRT (Tokyo) – SFO
- 15,676 miles or 4.9 cents per mile
Bookable on Orbitz.com.
- Visa Requirements: US Citizens. Visa required prior to arrival. Prices vary. However, you can have an agent arrange a visa for pickup at arrival at Ho Chi Minh City Airport for $20-25 handing fee paid upfront + $25 for the Visa payable on arrival. The Flight Deal team has used VietnamStay.com in the past for this service. It is much better than sending away your passport.
- Currency: Vietnamese Dong (VND). $1USD = 20,830 VND.