NOTE: If you do plan to visit, you still need to be in one of the 12 qualifying categories.
Service from American to Havana will launch on November 30th. This does not meet our 6 cents per mile criterion – it will be very difficult for deals from the East Coast that will since it will need to be under $150 or so from the Northeast for it to meet our deal criterion. But since we get tons of requests for deals, here is it.
We found availability from:
- Miami [MIA] – $200
- Dallas [DFW] – $312
- Chicago [ORD] – $312
- Detroit [DTW] – $312
Also available from Baltimore for $271.
Cuba is one of the countries with active cases of Zika virus transmission. Please read up on it at the Center for Disease Control if you are planning to go.
Again, if you do plan to visit, you still need to be in one of the 12 qualifying categories.
Here are some practical travel tips to Cuba.
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample from Miami
- December 1st – 8th
- This is just ONE SAMPLE travel date, for more availability, please follow the “Fare Availability” and “How to Search for Availability” instructions below
- Valid for travel from November 30th – early December or late January, 2017 – February, 2017. Must purchase at least 21 days in advance of departure
- There could be availability after February, we did not have the time to manually check.
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Go to American. American will show +/- 3 day availability for any date you plug in. Just play with the calendar – there isn’t an easy way to find availability outside of that due to regulations. You cannot search for Cuba availability on meta-search tools like Google Flights or ITA Matrix’s US site.
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- MIA – HAV (Havana) – MIA
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- Miles Flown: 470 miles
- Elite Qualifying Miles: 470 miles
- Redeemable Miles: 440 miles
How to Book:
- Book on American.
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa: US Citizens – Need to be in one of the 12 qualifying categories. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC). $1USD = 1 CUC
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Chicago Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Chicago Flight Deals page
For more of the latest cheap Dallas / Fort Worth Flight Deals:
For more of the latest cheap Miami / Fort Lauderdale Flight Deals:
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.