More sales to Europe including cities like Barcelona, Lisbon, Paris, and London on United and its Star Alliance partners on top of the sales to Dublin today. The fares are available for travel until Spring, 2015.
Here’s what we found –
Los Angeles [LAX] (LAX only to Madrid)
- Madrid [MAD]
Most cities pairs are available. Spain is available from every city. We found Paris just from Dallas. London, we found from Dallas and Philadelphia. Dallas has the best availability.
San Jose [SJC], Phoenix [PHX], Seattle [SEA], Portland [PDX], Santa Ana – Orange County [SNA], Miami [MIA], Baltimore [BWI], Philadelphia [PHL], Boston [BOS], Chicago [ORD], Dallas [DFW] to these destinations:
- Shannon [SNN]
- Barcelona [BCN]
- Oslo [OSL]
- Stockholm [ARN]
- Copenhagen [CPH]
- Madrid [MAD]
- Zurich [ZRH]
- Lisbon [LIS]
- Helsinki [HEL]
- Paris [CDG]
- Rome [FCO]
- Prague [PRG]
- Athens [ATH]
- London [LHR]
There could be more cities. However, we did not find any availability from New York or Newark. Also not available from San Francisco [SFO] or Washington D.C. [DCA/IAD]. However, for San Francisco and Washington, it is available from San Jose and Baltimore.
To maximize mileage earning, you want to have as many of your flights on United or Brussels as much as possible. Any flight on Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian for example will earn zero percentage mileage. Air Canada will earn 25% for flights between the United States and Canada and 100% from Canada to Europe.
Update 8/29/2014 @ 2:20PM Eastern – fare gone
Sample Travel Date:
- Sample from Los Angeles to Madrid
- November 6th – 13th
- Valid for travel on the outbound from October 16th – December 14th or December 24th – May 6th, 2015. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: LAX
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code:
- Destination: MAD
- Return Advanced Routing Code:
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- (For other cities and destinations, replace LAX and MAD with the airport from above)
- (Leave the routing code fields empty if you want to see availability for all)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- $546 [More for other cities]
- LAX – EWR (Newark) – MAD (Madrid) – EWR – LAX. Certain segments might be operated by United partners like Air Canada, Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, or Brussels.
- Not permitted
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
- $1,202 [More for other cities]
United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 12,098 miles or 5.5 cents per mile.
- March 1st, 2015: 2,730 miles or a difference of 9,368 miles.
How to Book:
- Support us by using our Orbitz link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search. Make sure you select “Additional Search Options” and then “Narrow the search to my preferred airlines” and select United
- TripAdvisor - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Find the lowest hotel prices from 200+ sites.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Visa Requirements: Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database.
- Currency: Euro (EUR). $1USD = 0.73 EUR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the Orbitz, accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.