A few days ago, we were waiting to eat at Mission Food Chinese for their take on Sichuan food in New York and the one dish that we really wanted was Mapo Tofu. Sadly, we still have not eaten Sichuan food here that is remotely comparable to what is available in Chengdu, Sichuan — the home of Sichuan cooking. What else is Sichuan known for? Pandas! So go for food and pandas. Also, if you are interested in going to Tibet and can procure the special visa, Chengdu is an excellent base to fly to Tibet.
- October 30th – November 7th. Valid for travel from October 28th – December 10th for Monday through Thursday departures. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability — enable advance routing codes and enter “nh+” on both inbound and outbound advance routing codes field to search only All Nippon Airways availability. Must purchase by August 14th
- JFK – NRT (Tokyo) – CTU (Chengdu) – NRT – JFK. Includes a 20 hour layover in Tokyo on the outbound.
- 17,700 miles or 4.5 cents per mile. All Nippon Airways (ANA) is a member of the Star Alliance and a partner with United’s MileagePlus program — this fare will earn 100% with United. Provide the checkin staff with your United number to receive full credit.
- Use dates found on ITA Software Matrix Search and book on FLY-ANA.COM
- Visa: US Citizens – required prior to arrival. $140. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY) – $1USD = 6.3 CNY
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Fee Foreign Transaction Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping