We have been using Google’s Feedburner email service to deliver our daily DealsLetter since we’ve started posting Flight Deals. As our mailing list has grown, there are a few challenges using Feedburner for our subscribers:
- Lack of dependability with delivery — on most days, it comes around 3PM Eastern but there have been times where it is delayed by hours or doesn’t get delivered at all.
- Subscribers not receiving their DealsLetter — they would initially receive it and then it just stops and never see it again. We have no way of telling whether it was delivered or not.
- Inability to change subscriber preferences — let’s say you subscribed with your Hotmail address and want to switch to Gmail, the only way to make the change is to unsubscribe then re-subscribe again.
Since Feedburner cost us nothing, we really couldn’t complain too much.
But, to better serve our subscriber base, we migrated off Feedburner yesterday to Mailchimp, a leading email service provider. The benefits are:
- Ensures delivery
- Better metrics — did our subscribers receive their daily DealsLetter?
- Provides a more visually engaging DealsLetter
- Better segmentation and future improvements — if we want to deliver this in real time or if we want to have a city based DealsLetter, we can provide that.
The trade-off for us is that Mailchimp isn’t cheap for the volume of emails we are sending. In order to offset the costs, we plan to:
- Send marketing messages that are de-coupled from our Daily DealsLetter. We will only send travel related marketing offers and not more than ONCE per week.
- The Daily DealsLetter may include banner ads in the future.
(If you unsubscribed using the old unsubscribe link after the transition, you are still receiving our DealsLetter because we migrated the list around 3PM Eastern yesterday. Please unsubscribe again. We apologize for that)
As always, if you have any feedback on anything we do, feel free to reach us on Twitter, Facebook or shoot us an email at the email address found on the About Us page.
Thank you for your continuing support,
The Flight Deal Team
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.