United has a good fare to Kathmandu that connects in Hong Kong to Dragonair’s Kathmandu service. On the outbound, there is a long layover in Hong Kong — for some that’s a bad thing, for others, visiting another city is a great idea. If you can take advantage, enjoy.
Sample Travel Date:
- November 4th – 16th
- Valid for travel on the outbound until December 11th or January 12th, 2015 – April 30th, 2015. Must purchase at least 3 days in advance of departure
- Please note that while this fare is valid at time of posting, if this post is more than two days old, the fare is likely gone.
How to Search for Availability:
- Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and use the following search criteria:
- Departing from: EWR
- Outbound Advanced Routing Code: hkg
- Destination: KTM
- Return Advanced Routing Code: hkg
- (Click on Advanced Routing Codes link to enable advanced routing code input)
- Select “See calendar of lowest fares”
- Length of stay “0-7” (This is just a sample, you can use any 7 day date range like 3-10, 7-14 etc)
- You cannot buy tickets using ITA. To buy, follow our instructions below
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- United: K
- Dragonair: S
Elite Qualifying Dollars:
- EWR – HKG (Hong Kong) – KTM (Kathmandu) – HKG- EWR. The segment between Hong Kong and Kathmandu will be operated by Dragonair
- Two permitted at $100 each
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
Global Premier Upgrade Fare (for United 1K and GS members):
- W Class
- United will be revenue based mileage earning starting March 1st, 2015. Miles will be earn base on elite qualifying dollars multiple by 5 as base level earning and up to 11 for 1K level members. We will be showing the 2015 base mileage earning for all United fares going forward to show how negative the changes are for a majority of United flyers.
- 2014: 19,768 miles or 4.7 cents per mile . The segments between Hong Kong and Kathmandu will not earn any miles with United, as such, you will earn 16,120 miles or 5.7 cents per mile. The segments between Hong Kong and Kathmandu will earn 25% mileage with British Airways or Cathay Pacific (we recommend British Airways over Cathay Pacific for mileage accrual). As such, you will earn 912 miles for those two segments.
- March 1st, 2015: 3,550 miles or a difference of 12,570 miles.
How to Book:
- Book via Google Flights link to book with dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search.
- The flight information has been pre-populated for you. All you need to do is enter the dates for each segment as found on ITA.
- It will link you to United.com to book.
- HotelsCombined - One of the leading hotel meta-search engines. Search all the hotel and online travel agencies with one search.
- Rental Cars - One of the world’s leading car rental agencies. Includes all the major brands like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise etc.
Activities and Tours
- Viator – The world's largest marketplace for destination activities and tours
- Allianz Global Assistance – the world leader in travel insurance
- Visa: US Citizens – Available on Arrival (Varies from $5 – $100). Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Nepalese Rupee (NPR). $1USD = 98.99 NPR
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals:
- Go to the The New York Flight Deals page
* The Flight Deal will receive a commission if you use the accommodation, car rental, activities, or travel insurance affiliate links to make a booking or apply and is approved for a credit card using our link above. Thank you for your continuing support.