Airfare sales to Hong Kong from the New York area have dried up since Delta discontinued its Detroit to Hong Kong service in 2012. This is the first sub-$900 deal we have seen from the tri-state area in a very long time! Availability is limited.
Hong Kong is our favorite city in Asia! It has a bit of everything for any and every traveler.
Sample Travel Date:
- November 10th – 17th
- Valid for travel from
NovemberSeptember – December 3rd or December 26th – January 25th, 2014 for Sunday through Wednesday departures. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability — enable advanced routing codes and enter “ac+” on both the outbound and return fields to search only Air Canada Availability. Must purchase by August 26th
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
Partner Fare Class:
- US – Canada segments: N Class
- Canada – Hong Kong segments: K Class
- EWR – YYZ (Toronto) – HKG (Hong Kong) – YYZ – EWR. Some routings include going via Vancouver. However, segments between the US and Canada earn no miles. As such, you want to connect via Toronto to maximize miles. ITA also provides routing that have potential long layovers in Toronto on the outbound. Expedia.com will have options for the same price without long layovers.
- Two permitted at $100 for the 1st stopover and $150 for the second.
- How to Take Advantage of a Stopover
- 16,262 miles or 5.5 cents per mile. Air Canada is a member of the Star Alliance and United partner. The segments between Canada and United earn zero miles when crediting to United. The segments between Canada and Hong Kong will earn 100% mileage with United. When crediting to United, you will earn 15,620 miles or 5.7 cents per mile.
How to Book:
- Use dates found at ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and book on Expedia.com. Make sure you select “Show Additional Options” and then select Air Canada on “Preferred airline.”
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Hong Kong Dollar. $1USD = 7.8 HKD
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap New York Flight Deals: