Using a simple open jaw itinerary, you can visit both Hong Kong & Tokyo for under $750.
What you need to take advantage of this deal:
- American Airlines AAdvantage Miles (15,000 Miles) + about $25 in taxes + $25 booking fee or
- United Airlines MileagePlus Miles (15,000 Miles) + $25 – $30 in taxes or
- British Airways Avios (10,000 Avios) + $41 (only on Cathay Pacific)
- If you don’t have miles, China Eastern has an one way flight for $299 via Shanghai.
And this is why we recommend you collect miles. United Airlines miles can also be transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards at 1:1 ratio. British Airways Avios is both a Chase Ultimate Rewards and American Express Membership Rewards partner. For this, we would use British Airways Avios points.
You need to start in Hong Kong first then make your way to Tokyo to return back to the US.
1. Use ITA Multi-City to Search
Use the multi-city functionality to price it out.
2. Search for Award Availability from Hong Kong to Tokyo.
We are going to use award miles to travel from Hong Kong to Tokyo. United and British Airways’ show availability and you can book online. For American, you have to call them to book since their partners, Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines, are not searchable on AA.com yet. Award availability with United looks pretty good for the travel period.
Here’s availability with British Airways through their partner Cathay Pacific:
For about $750, you can visit both countries.
Sample Travel Date:
- October 1st: Seattle – Hong Kong
- Sometime in between: Hong Kong to Tokyo
- October 8th: Tokyo – Seattle
- Valid for travel from late September – November 30th for Monday through Thursday departures. There is no availability from mid-October to mid-November at this price level. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and multi-city search — enable advanced routing codes and enter “ua+” on both the outbound and enter “ua+” return fields to search for this fare. Must purchase by July 8th.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- SEA – SFO (San Francisco) – HKG (Hong Kong) // NRT (Tokyo) – SEA.
- 12,361 miles or 5.7 cents per mile
How to Book:
- Use dates found on ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and book on United.com using Multi-City.
- United’s risk free cancellation policy here
- Visa: US Citizens – Not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Japanese Yen (JYP) $1USD = 99.82 JPY
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Hong Kong Dollar (HKD) $1USD = 7.8HKD
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap San Francisco / Bay Area Flight Deals:
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.