Last week, we had a deal from New York to Shanghai and Tokyo for $845. Using the same technique, we are going to show how you can visit both Beijing and Tokyo for $653. Prices vary slightly depending on dates. If you stay in Beijing for less than 72 hours, you avoid needing and paying for a Chinese visa.
What you need to take advantage of this deal:
- American Airlines AAdvantage Miles (15,000 Miles) + about $15 in taxes + $25 booking fee or
- United Airlines MileagePlus Miles (10,000 Miles) + $14.70 in taxes or
- If you don’t have miles, China Eastern has an one way flight for $235 via Shanghai. Delta has one for $263 nonstop from Beijing to Tokyo.
And this is why we recommend you collect miles. United Airlines miles can also be transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards at 1:1 ratio.
You can start in Tokyo first and then go to Beijing. But we prefer going from Los Angeles to Beijing to Tokyo then Los Angeles as American have a nonstop from Tokyo to Los Angeles.
1. Use ITA Multi-City to Search
This fare must depart from Monday through Thursday. Play with the dates. We found this fare is best on Tuesday and Wednesdays.
- Flight 1: LAX – Beijing (PEK)
- Flight 2: Tokyo (NRT) – LAX
Pretty simple. We found okay availability at the $653 level. There are some dates in the $680s and $710s.
2. Search for Award Availability from Beijing to Tokyo.
We are going to use award miles to travel from Beijing to Tokyo. We are going to use United’s search since it shows availability and you can book online. For American, you have to call them to book since their partner JAL is not searchable on AA.com yet.
The result for the search:
Good availability on United and it’s partners at the 10K mile level. And with that, for about $670 and 10,000 miles, you can visit both Beijing and Tokyo!
Sample Travel Date:
- October 16th: Los Angeles – Beijing. (Includes a potential overnight layover in Chicago)
- Sometime in between: Beijing – Tokyo (on American or United Miles)
- October 23rd: Tokyo – Los Angeles
- Valid for travel from September – December 6th for Monday through Thursday departures. Use ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and flexible month search to see availability — enable advanced routing codes and enter “aa+” on both the outbound and return fields to search for American Airlines only. Must purchase by June 26th.
- Beginner’s Guide on How to Use Matrix by ITA Software
- How to Read Airfare Rules and Use It to Your Advantage
- LAX – ORD (Chicago) – PEK (Beijing) // NRT (Tokyo) – LAX.
- 13,737 miles or 4.8 cents per mile.
How to Book:
- Use dates found at ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search and book on AA.com using the Multi-City search.
- Receive $1 back for using Ebates.com or Mr. Rebates prior to booking on AA.com
- American Airline’s risk free cancellation policy here
- Visa: US Citizens – required prior to arrival. $140. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY) – $1USD = 6.12 CNY
- How to Visit Shanghai or Beijing for Up to 72 Hours without a Visa
- Visa: US Citizens – not required. Other nationals, check the TIMATIC Visa Database
- Currency: Japanese Yen (JPY). $1USD = 94.5 JPY
Tips for saving when using credit cards at international destinations:
- No Fee Foreign Transaction Credit Cards to save on international purchases
- Don’t get hit with Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Get your taxes refunded when shopping
- How to Avoid International Data Roaming Charges
For more of the latest cheap Los Angeles Flight Deals:
- Go to the The Los Angeles Flight Deals page
The Flight Deal does not sell travel products or services. We provide you with information about third-party travel suppliers’ offers, and link you to their sites. The information posted by The Flight Deal is valid at the time of publication. However, we have no control over the suppliers, and we therefore do not warrant or guarantee that their offers will not change or become unavailable. Nor are we responsible for their products, services or site content. Please see their sites for their most up-to-date offer information and all applicable terms and conditions.