Beijing is the capital of China and to a certain extent, the cultural capital of China too. The Fall is the perfect time to visit Beijing: it’s no too humid and not too hot, and most tourists are gone.
Things to See:
- 798 – an industrial park that has been turned into art galleries
- The Forbidden City
- The Great Wall – we recommend that you go to the Mutianyu section and not the Badaling section. The last time we were at Mutianyu, we were basically the only ones there
Places to Eat:
- Made in China at The Grand Hyatt Beijing – definitely the best Peking Duck found in the world. Make sure to pre-order the duck before you get there
- Noodle Bar at 1949 – get some great hand made noodles
[Update – deal expired. AA pulled this]
- October 12th – 19th. Valid for travel Monday through Thursday until December 08, 2011. Must purchase by September 13th. Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com and flexible month search to see available dates.
- EWR – ORD (Chicago) – PEK (Beijing, China) – ORD – EWR
- 14,554 miles or 5.9 cents per mile. If you want elite status with AA, this would be a good fare to do the American Airlines’ Gold Challenge that we wrote about a few weeks ago.
Bookable on AA.com. AA’s risk free cancellation policy here. You can also use the 10% off Costco AA Gift Cards to save up to $85 / per person on this fare since you can use up to 8 giftcards per reservation. Put this fare on hold, go to Costco, pick up the Gift Cards and buy!
- Visa Requirements – US Citizens require to have Visa prior to arrival. $140 for single entry or multi-entry. Get the multi-entry since it’s the same price; who knows, there might be more good deals to China in the next 12 months that you might want to take advantage of.
- Currency – Renminbi (RMB). $1 USD = 6.38 RMB